High Ability Learners (HAL)
are identified through mulitple criteria such as our district standardized – norm referenced achievement test (California Achievement Test), mandated district assessments, teacher recommendation based on classroom performance, and self nomination based on student strengths.
- At every grade level, all students have opportunities to...
- Deepen and enrich their understanding of on-grade-level material
- Extend and enrich their understanding of above-grade-level materials
- Study and explore areas of interest and strength
- Collaborate with peers on challenging and rigorous tasks and projects
Students may be referred to the gifted and talented facilitator who will facilitate the screening process, which may include classroom observations, student interviews, checklists, demonstrated proficiency, and collaboration with school staff/parents/guardians.
Assessments utilized may include a combination of the following...
- Informal reading assessments
Informal mathematical assessments
- Criterion Referenced Tests
- Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT)
- Other assessments deemed appropriate and necessary